Thursday, October 31, 2013

Adjusting to Marriage

I love learning about the new steps a couple takes as they embark a new journey in eternal marriage. Most of the reason why I love it is because these very steps are what I am experiencing right now in my life. One of the quotes from the readings that stood out to me most was that the habits developed in the first year of marriage are usually what dictate the rest of the marriage. This really had me thinking as I came to the realization that this first year in my own marriage is extremely crucial to my life with my husband. This little quote had me thinking all week about the little things that I do. It helped me to be more patient, more understanding, and more loving.

Couples go through extreme adjustments during the first few months of marriage. I have felt this very true in my own marriage as we have explored different and new aspects of this marriage. For example, the top three greatest adjustments for us have been sleeping habits, time habits, and cleaning habits.

Sleeping habits has been a big adjustment, and a normal one, as we have learned. I love to cuddle each night as I fall asleep and my husband doesn't like to touch while trying to sleep. It's funny and we laugh about it each night, but learning to adjust has surely been a learning experience for us.

Time habits have also been an adjustment as my husband and I have learned how to better manage our free time from our scheduled time.

Lastly, cleaning habits have surely been a change. My husband grew up with a cleaning lady and he is not the cleanest person. I really like a neat & organized home and I have found it frustrating to spend so much time cleaning, and then to have it completely dirty again an hour or two later. We are working together on this issue, and my husband is doing his best to be better. I appreciate his willingness to try and work on things and I know that if we are both doing this, we will succeed.

Marriage is exciting, fun and challenging but it will be the best experience of my life if I think of it that way. Life is all about becoming more like God, and I know that marriage will be one of the best tools to refine me and strengthen me. I am grateful for my husband and for the kind and selfless man that he is. This life is hard, but we can look at it with the glass half full or half empty. We choose to look at it half full!!

No comments:

Post a Comment