Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Parenting


Parenting teenagers is difficult. Oftentimes, there are apparent differences between parents and their children. In M. Russell Ballard’s general conference address titled Like a Flame Unquenchable, we are taught that the commandments on this earth have not changed. This brings so much comfort to my life because I have felt in my own short 20 years on earth, the world has gone through some significant changes. The standards go up and down, fads change and conformity is high. Ballard states, “The standards of the world have shifted like the sands of a windblown desert.” I love that the gospel principles are set in stone and unwavering. This provides me peace in my future parenting in the future because I truly fear for my children. I fear that I won’t be able to teach them what they will need to know but this quote gives me comfort that from the very beginning, if I teach them the solid principles of the gospel that they will be able to use those principles for the rest of their lives! How reassuring is that? The story that Elder Ballard started with, referring to the young and virtuous couple over the alter made me teary-eyed. Not too long ago, that was me! It was such a special day and I was so proud of myself and of my husband for making it to the temple. There are so many pressures for young men and women that we must, as parents, help them to put on the armor of God. Elder Ballard suggests 4 methods to help the youth to learn to understand, love, value and live the standards of the gospel. They are: gospel information, communication and example.

I hope to be an active parent - meaning I will resolve problems in the best way possible without being permissive or authoritarian.

The videos that we watched this week demonstrated the difficult adolescent period for teenagers and the trials of good parenting. Parenting is actually not as simple as it sounds. However, the secret to parenting is quite simple – to teach by the spirit. I know that parenting will at times, be discouraging and hopeless. I hope that I can keep an eternal perspective and know that my Heavenly Father is a prayer away!

No comments:

Post a Comment